Spring 2010 snowmelt log
![media/treatment2_100424.jpg?250|Just after dust application on April 24th, 2010]
- First dust application of spring. Used slightly over three mason jars. Also - forgot to bring the Federal sampler so will have to measure next week and add any losses seen from nearby SNOTEL sites. Photos to come. --- Greg Maurer 2010/04/08 21:00
- Second dust application. Used 4 mason jars and measured SWE in control and treatment (n=6) swaths. Also took 3 SWE measurements to the east of the treatment swath in similar stand density areas for additional comparison. --- Greg Maurer 2010/04/24 13:53
- Third dust application. Used 4 mason jars and measured SWE in control and treatment (n=6) swaths. Also took 3 SWE measurements to the east of the treatment swath in similar stand density areas for additional comparison. --- Greg Maurer 2010/06/07 15:45
- Fourth dust application - used 3.5 mason jars --- Greg Maurer 2010/05/14 08:57
- Fifth dust application - used 3.5 mason jars --- Greg Maurer 2010/05/25 08:41
- Sixth dust application (3.5 mason jars), and Treatment swath is beginning to melt out. --- Greg Maurer 2010/06/03 14:15
- Measured SWE - 6/10 Treatment plot SWE points are melted out. 3/10 Control plot SWE points are melted out. --- Greg Maurer 2010/06/09 14:15
- Our total dust loading for the year was roughly 36g m^-2^
- This appeared to at least double the total natural snowpack dust loading rate for the Wasatch of 20-36g m^-2^ (from Anne Bryant and Tom Painter's work at Alta).
NOTE the presence of the East Control directly east of the treatment swath! It was created to measure spatial variability in SWE from the clearing to the center of the stand. The first measurement was made on April 8th, 2010 and the last measurement was made on June 23rd.
Spring 2011 snowmelt log
![media/hcplot4_110512.jpg?350|Plot 4 on May 12, 2011]
- 31 March, 2011: First dust application of spring on 31 March, 2011. Used slightly over three mason jars per plot. SWE measurements were made difficult by freezing inside of tube so will have to return and remeasure. --- Greg Maurer 2011/04/04 12:09
- April 2: Remeasured SWE using lubricant in the sampling tubes - it worked this time and it looks like measurements on the 31st were off by at least 200mm of SWE. --- Greg Maurer 2011/04/04 12:09
- See Hidden Canyon logfor other SWE measurement and dust deposition dates.
- June 15 First bare ground occurred at the middle of plot 2 (near 30E, 30N stake) - continued grid measurements at several time periods this year
- June 23Collected snow columns for total dust loading measurements - 1 per plot
- July 12 Snowmelt was complete (except for a small area in plot 3 - near litterbag set 2).
- Aug 8: Tuned up the
hc_melt.pyprogram to plot out the 2011 snowmelt season. Looks, in general like dust had no effect on the rate of melt at Hidden Canyon.
![media/hc_snowmelt2011.png?350|Control and Treatment snowmelt in 2011. Red arrows = dust storms, Yellow arrows = dust addition]