Active research projects
Each research project has its own directory. Within these project directories there are overview pages, methods pages (usually site-specific methods), project logs, and results pages. Overview pages describe the project objectives, hypotheses, and research approach, and should link to all other pages in the project namespace.
Hidden Canyon ecohydrology
- Experimental design: Snowmelt manipulation, Soil profiles
- Methods: Dust, Dust on snow, Snowpack sublimation, Xylem pressure, Below-snow soil resp, Warm season resp, Litter bags
- Measurement logs: Snowmelt, Soil respiration, Litter bags
- Hidden Canyon activity logs, data analysis log
Western U.S. soil carbon cycling
- Methods: Protocol for SNOTEL visits, Initial sample processing
- Logs: SNOTEL visits, Sample processing, Data analysis, Sample processing tables.
Niwot girdling study (niwot_girdling/girdling)
Protocols for making measurements in the field or the lab, processing samples for analysis, or analyzing data. Intended as a general reference, but site or experiment-specific info can be appended as necessary.
- Measuring exetainer gas samples for CO~2~ and C isotopes
- Acid treatment of soils to remove carbonates.
- Soil sample prep for EA-IRMS analysis at SIRFER.
- Graphitization of soils for AMS ^14^C analysis
- Preparing and taking data from tree cores
- Snowpack dust loading
- δ13C analysis of soil extracts
- Manual soil respiration measurements (Hidden Canyon)
- Below-snow respiration measurements(Hidden Canyon)
- Dust deposition on snowpacks (Hidden Canyon)
- Xylem Pressure
- Snowpack Sublimation
- Canopy photography
- Georeferencing with GPS
Data analysis and instrumentation programming
- Data analysis programming: General info for using Python/MATLAB/Octave/R for data analysis
- Python notes, Numpy notes, Using IPython
- Matlab notes
- Shell scripts, AWK, Vim, and assorted textfile notes
- mercurial, and git: 2 version control systems.
- Tips for analyzing sensor timeseries
- Workflow for data analysis
- Geospatial data analysis
Pages covering statistical and mathematical concepts, or numerical methods used in data analysis. Some of these pages are composed primarily of links to further information on the subject.
- Computation toolboxes - tools for computing math and statistics.
- Time series analysis - assorted methods for analyzing time series data to extract meaningful statistics.
- ANOVA - analysis of variance for various experimental designs.
- Reverse calibration equations - using the quadratic equation to back out sensor output from calibrated data (if calibration is known).
- Principal components analysis and Principal components regression
- Testing for normality
- Linear regression - Bivariate (one independent variable) and multiple regression (>1 ind. variable).
- Multilevel/Mixed/Heirarchical statistical models
- Integration - of functions, or sampled data such as a timeseries
- Decay and turnover functions.
Contain documentation for operating, calibrating, and maintaining field and lab instruments, sensors, etc. There are also notes on programs, calibration constants, and conversion coefficients for instruments currently in use.
- Li-Cor Quantum sensor (LI-190.md)
- Notes, conventions, and code for EDLOG programming (Campbell datalogger control)
- Li-Cor 6400 portable soil respiration system (in use at Hidden Canyon)
- Campbell cr10 dataloggers (several old ones in Red Butte Canyon)
- Sentek EnviroSCAN soil moisture profiles (there are a couple at Hidden Canyon).
- EA-IRMS protocol at the SIRFER lab.
Research sites (or networks) have their own namespace. Pages in a site namespace should have descriptive information about the sites themselves, research instrumentation, or researcher activities there. For example: site maps, research plot layouts, technical info and schematics for research installations (weather stations, etc.), activity/maintenance logs, etc.
- Site description, Tree location data
- Instrumentation: communicationsystem, dataloggers, mettowers, soilprofiles
- Fieldwork log (2009-2013), data analysis log
Red Butte Canyon
- Above the University of Utah campus. There is a weather station network there.
- RBC Weather Station info, WS maintenance log, Using cr10 dataloggers
NRCS Snow Survey sites
- A network of mountain sites in the western U.S. where manual (snow courses) and automated (SNOTEL sites) measurements of snowpack (SWE) are taken for water supply forecasting. Manual measurements date back to the 1930's.
- Official site
Niwot Ridge LTER
- A high elevation LTER and Ameriflux site in Colorado.
- Extensive research on tundra and forest ecology has been in progress here for a long time. The Bowling lab has instrumentation that measures biosphere-atmosphere interactions (CO~2~ mainly).
Inactive research projects
These are either completed or on hold.
Ion deposition in snow (snowdep)
- Methods: Snow sampling and cleanliness procedures, Processing snow samples for analysis, Mixing ion standards
- Data analysis log
- Activity log (not used)