SNOTEL survey - Sample processing log
This logs any work done on samples returned from the visits to SNOTEL sites.
- The sampling spreadsheet in the project directory logs EVERY sample returned from the field.
- The Sample tablespage summarizes the samples for each site and their processing/analysis history.
- The SNOTEL visit logfor notes on site visits.
- The initial processing proceduresfor returned samples. This links to other procedures.
- Litter mass samples are missing from Farmington Lower (though there were some samples sent to SIRFER)
- Created the sample tables page (above) and am slowly figuring out what samples have been analyzed and what still need to be.
- 2008 O and M1 samples were treated a little differently than subsequent years. The 5 plot samples were processed individually rather than bulked, and then only a bulk acidified sample, which have different sample numbers, was run at SIRFER. See TO DO below.
- TO DO:
- 2008 O and M1 samples - bulk the 5 plot samples into a single sample cup (1 per plot).
- Done --- Greg Maurer 2012/06/15 21:57
- Run the 2008 O and M1 samples (now bulked) at SIRFER (without acidifying).
- Run 2009
acidifiedO and M1 samples (mostly loaded into tray 1105) at SIRFER.
- Compare results for acidified and native O and M1 samples (2008/9) to see if this continues to be necessary.
- Find Rock Creek M2 samples (6-12cm) if they exist.
- They don't exist, and my guess is the mineral samples were to 12cm, but not sure. --- Greg Maurer2012/06/15 21:31
- Process remaining 2011 site samples (CHP, MM, RC).
- Subsample and acidify all intact core samples?
- Sand/silt/clay from 2008 mineral sample bags, 2009 tins, 2011 intact cores.
- Should I weigh the roots/wood samples from the tins and cores and add them to the bulk density spreadsheet?
- Need to enter the data into the processing sheet (to include all rock weights, etc.)
- Done --- Greg Maurer 2012/06/22 05:31
- Looking through 2008 and 2009 CWD and litter sampling
- There are missing litter values from 2008 and I either marked them as "Not collected" or "No Litter" since one or the other is likely (there must have been litter at some sites that are missing a sample).
- Difficult to decide where to put the CWD measurements that are in the O horizon section of the field sheets. I am going to calculate volumes for these and add them to Litter layer wood numbers (based on volume x std wood density) for 2008 and to Organic horizon wood for 2009 and 2011 (I think this accurately reflects what I was doing in these different years).
- Mineral samples 2009 are being acidified today
- Root grinding for all samples (2008 and 2009) completed today - currently inventorying them
- Litter samples for 2008 were loaded into tins and put in a tray (by Richard) today.
- The three leftover 2009 Litter vials (Louis Meadow) were loaded into this tray also.
- 2009 Mineral and Organic samples have been acidified, ground and weighed into tins - need to be organized and have the trays completed with more samples.
- Tray 1103: 2008 litter, ground, weighed into tins, ready - along with LM samples in same tray, this completes the 2008 2009 litter sampling.
- Tray 1103: also has most 2009 tin samples that are acidified ground and ready to go.
- Tray 1104: 2008 & 9 roots have been ground and weighed into tins, plus remainder of 2009 tins.
- Acidified rerun of 2009 Mineral and Organic samples have been acidified, ground and weighed into tins - need to be organized and have the tray completed with more samples.
- Started Richard Malyn on bulk density mesurements for SNOTEL soil tins. This consists of screening the entire tin sample to <2mm, weighing the sifted soil, measuring the volume of all rocks >2mm, and separating out roots and wood >2mm.
- Organic samples 2009 - Ground, weighed, and run at SIRFER
- Mineral 1 (0-10) samples 2009 - Ground, weighed, and run at SIRFER
- Litter samples 2009 - Ground, weighed, and run at SIRFER EXCEPT Louis Meadow (3 vials)
- Organic and mineral 1 samples should be acidified and run again
- There are some samples that need to be rerun
A long time ago
- Organic horizon samples 2008 - Ground, weighed, acidified, and run at SIRFER
- Mineral 1 (0-10) samples 2008 - Ground, weighed, acidified, and run at SIRFER